The Creative Mode is a setting that changes the rules of the game to make it more suitable for creative gameplay, rather than challenging “survival” gameplay. The idea is to give pretty much all items and abilities to the player “for free”.
Note that Creative Mode does not affect whether damage is enabled. In Minetest, Creative Mode and damage are two separate settings.
What actually happens in Creative Mode depends on the game. The engine does not implements the setting and not the behaviour, which is defined in mods.
Creative Mode in Minetest Game
In Minetest Game, these are the rule changes when using Creative Mode:
- Tools do not wear out, thus they have infinite durability
- The creative inventory is activated, which allows players to give themselves items appearing in the creative inventory
- If one places a block, it doesn’t get removed from their inventory. This makes blocks “unlimited”
- Mining times of the hand are greatly reduced
- One can dig almost everything with the hand
- Hand range is increased to 10 blocks
- Hand damage is increased to a whopping
- Bones do not appear when a player dies—players keep their items upon death